Monday, June 8, 2009

Cherished Memories

*sigh* Well, it's been an exhausting week. Eight days ago I said goodbye for the last time to the woman who was my mom for 20 years. As, I think about that length of time, it seems like it should have lasted forever, but those 20 years really did fly by. It seems like just yesterday my dad was bringing her into our home for the first time. I sat there, nervous, stuttering "um" over and over as a thought filler trying to process this woman with her contagious laugh and addicting smile. That night I had no idea that my father would eventually marry her and ask her to fill the void my mother had left when she had died the few years before. The years of my childhood that followed were filled with many ups and downs. I used to count down the time until I turned the all elusive 18; that magic number of freedom.

I have many memories that will help bring me joy in celebrating her life. She was there for the birth of both my children... Oh how she loved children; her only desire in life was to be a mother and grandmother. Her last days were spent enjoying the company of family. We shared many a summer night, sitting around a bonfire, reflecting upon life and our purpose in it. My fondest and most cherished memories are the many phone calls we shared. I am saddened that I do not have even one voice recording of her to listen to on my drive home from work.

We buried this beautiful wife, mother of 8, grandmother of 7 today. And with tears streaming down my face, I said my final goodbye that led her to her final resting place. I hope that the sermon is right and she is alive again. Enjoying a pain free world, but taking time to check in on us once and awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment