Friday, October 15, 2010

Good bye, my friend. In memory of Kevin Scott






I met Kevin during my summer spent in intensive therapy. From the beginning, there was a spark to him. He had a great sense of humor and an amazing way of caring for others... always trying to build them up. He never could see what a wonderful man he really was. After our time spent in group concluded, I didn't think I would ever hear from him again. You know how it goes, you make friends here and there and shed them just the same. Well, one day I receive a random text message from an unknown person, asking me how I was. Kevin had stayed connected to a mutual friend and asked her for my number. From there, we started to talk nearly everyday. I would wake up and there would be a text telling me good morning and telling me to get out of bed. We chatted about how he felt about himself and he would tease me about deflecting when it came to talking about me. Anytime I ever put myself down, he was there to scold me and pick me back up. Kevin told me that I was his best friend and to be honest, he was mine. I knew that I could say anything, even if it was for shock value, and he was always supportive. He threatened to kick my ass so many times for talking about how I just wanted to die. He'd get all pissy about me trying to bug him while he worked on building his new home. He'd tell me how he was gonna make me come out there and help him when it was freezing. LOL. We'd plan our great escape of running away together to avoid the pains of this world. He was my hero! I loved him so much for what he gave me through this summer. There are so many wonderful memories with him, I could go on forever.

So, Monday, after not hearing from him since Thursday, I sent him a text, teasing him about forgetting about his best friend. I had tried to contact him over the weekend, to no avail. When he responded, he told me that he had fallen off his roof and through a window pane or something to that degree. He had broken some ribs and had some stitches. He was in a lot of pain, but alive and at home. On Tuesday I sent him a text letting him know I was thinking about him, but didn't hear anything back. At 7 am this morning, I answered my phone to hear that he had died. At this point I'm still not sure what happened...

I'm heart broken. While Kevin and I were friends for only months, I did grow to love him as if I had known him for years. I am struggling to get a grasp on this, but I know that I will... just as I did after Tina died.

No comments:

Post a Comment